Nav Bar Disappear

Thursday, March 24, 2011

"Try-Athletes": Lights, Camera, Action!



Despite a week of ups & downs, we are successful. We are getting done what needs to be done, and this includes our jobs, the show we are producing and making our own lives better, little bits at a time. Jenny says this is the year we take care of us, and she says it with this creepy voice and face which makes me afraid to disagree. So, here we go, playing the lead roles in our own lives, playing those roles well, and having the time of our lives doing it.
On the way to Try tonite, my hands were freezing. I figured the pool would be too, but it was warm and I liked it. Lisa said it was freezing and Jenny said it was too warm. We were like Goldilocks and the three bears, with Alanna being Goldilocks.
In the pool, I swam my arse off. Surprisingly enough, there were strange things happening just beneath the surface, if you chose to look closely, which of course, I always do, for the sake of being a Nosey Nelly if nothing else.
There were girls carrying bricks, walking and trying to run underwater on the floor tonite. I am not kidding, I am not making it up and I definitely saw it with my own two eyeballs. So, exactly how am I supposed to seriously concentrate when there is a whole world of activity going on below me in the pool? Blue and yellow bricks, and those things were heavy. They did not wear SCUBA gear. If you looked on top of the water - no girls, just air bubbles. Look underwater - girls carrying bricks. Weird.
Just think about it for a second. WHO DOES THIS? This blows my mind a little bit. To me, this would be the same if I was able to look inside a wall and find people in there, drinking tea or playing badminton.
So I hop into the pool and I made up my mind that I was going to swim as much as I could tonite because I am lacking some workout time over the past couple of weeks, and then I stick my head in the water, trying to get a rhythm, and then I forget what I am doing because I am watching this scene unfold below me.
Also, I start giggling when I realize that I am no longer kicking, and my arms are moving really slowly and I am not breathing, just kind of suspended there, floating & giggling. Weirdo alert.
So I made a conscious effort to snap out of it and ignore the Underwater Brick Walkers and to get on with my swimming. But I have ADD so I couldn't concentrate on both things, and I have OCD so I couldn't stop looking at them. Then, I am Oppositional Defiant so when Alanna would tell me to ignore them, I felt like I had to keep looking at them even more. I was in a bad state of affairs. I was actually getting kind of mad that they were there, interrupting my concentration. So I turned my back to them, and did the backstroke past them until I saw their air bubbles, then I flipped over and front crawled past them. They bothered me that much.
Now, Jenny and Lisa do not notice anything. The whole place could crash down around their ears, and Jenny would still be doing the front crawl and Lisa would still be doing the backstroke or tearing apart the lane dividers. But not me - if someone pulls into the parking lot or checks out a book from the library, I know about it.
Our new buddy didn't show up, or at least, we didn't see him. We were looking forward to seeing him, too. Maybe next time.
At one point tonite, I was swimming in one direction and Lisa was swimming in the other and Lisa decided this would be a fine time to grab me and throw me underwater. I don't think she meant to do it, as she apologized, but it certainly took me by surprise. It was like being yanked by my head up 3 feet and then pushed down 5 feet at warp speed... because in the water, there is nothing to stop you from being pushed - there is nothing to brace yourself against, especially if taken by surprise. And Lisa has long arms, like an Avatar. So whoooooosh, I went. Surprise!!
That was a rush. Exciting! That gets the adrenalin pumping. Nothing like being thrown around in the water by an Avatar.
I thought she was going to drown me but I held my breath - my whole body was on lockdown - my real worry was that she was going to pull my swim cap off and then my hair would turn white from the chlorine. I almost barfed from worry.
Avatar Attack! Avatar on the loose!
And then Jenny comes along and slices me up with the paddles. First, one paddle across the boob, like a Ninja chop. Then, another paddle across the legs. Brutality!
Oh, wait, wait. That was me, to Jenny. I chopped Jenny... a couple of times. Sorry 'bout it.
It takes me a long time to get a rhythm going during swimming. By the time I can get my arms, legs and breath going properly so that I am not dying, it's usually about 8:15. We leave at 8:30. I gotta practice this business so I can get it going right at 7:30.
But I've come a long way in 8 weeks. We all have! We are superstars, baby!
Swimming 25m now is a normal occurence, not a crazy thing. Now, I am taking less time between laps. It's coming along, baby!! I don't know how much I swam but I did a lot of front crawl because I got my breathing going pretty rhythmically. I need to get one of those lap counter things because I can't remember how many laps I do. I'm excited about it.
There were lots of 'That's off the record!' statements tonite. I thought I was going to have to write a blog that stated:
There will be no blog tonite due to major censorship.
Good thing I remembered some funny stuff.
***
... and congratulations to my girl Jessica, who was accepted into the American Academy of Dramatic Arts in New York City. I love you forever :)
Alicia Keys
Empire State Of Mind (Part II) Lyrics
Ooohh New York (x2)
Grew up in a town that is famous as the place of movie scenes
Noise was always loud, there are sirens all around and the streets are mean
If I can make it here, I can make it anywhere, that's what they say
Seeing my face in lights or my name on marquees found down on Broadway
Even if it ain’t all it seems, I got a pocketful of dreams
Baby, I'm from New York
Concrete jungle where dreams are made of
There's nothing you can't do
Now you're in New York
These streets will make you feel brand new
Big lights will inspire you
Hear it for New York, New York, New York!
On the avenue, there ain't never a curfew, ladies work so hard
Such a melting pot, on the corner selling rock, preachers pray to God
Hail a gypsy cab, takes me down from Harlem to the Brooklyn Bridge
Some will sleep tonight with a hunger far more than an empty fridge
I'm gonna make it by any means, I got a pocketful of dreams
Baby, I'm from New York
Concrete jungle where dreams are made of
There's nothing you can't do
Now you're in New York
These street will make you feel brand new
Big lights will inspire you
Hear it for New York, New York, New York!
One hand in the air for the big city,
Street lights, big dreams all looking pretty
No place in the world that can compare
Put your lighters in the air, everybody say yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
In New York
Concrete jungle where dreams are made of
There's nothing you can't do
Now you're in New York
These streets will make you feel brand new
Big lights will inspire you
Now you're in New York!
Concrete jungle where dreams are made of
There's nothing you can't do
Now you're in New York
These street will make you feel brand new
Big lights will inspire you
Hear it for New York!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Glad you dropped in. Have an opinion to share? Here is your opportunity: